Essentially the Deck AWK i.e. the deck “Assistant to Watch Keeper”. He is also a qualified Helmsman and an “Efficient Deck Hand “.
Areas of Accountability
- Accompanies the Deck Officer in keeping navigational watches at sea and cargo/port watches in port as the Assistant to Watch Keeper (AWK)
- Responsible for carrying out steering duties at the helm under orders of the Master or the duty officer
- Carries out the daily deck maintenance tasks as delegated by the Chief Officer.
- Report any undesired events, unsafe practices or near misses observed to the superior officer/s and attempt to rectify them if safely possible.
- To carry out all work on deck assigned to him by the Chief Officer
- To carry out navigational and cargo watches with Deck Officers
- Assist in cargo operation as required and act as an efficient watchkeeper during cargo operation
- Ensure that he is aware of the location of and know how to use all firefighting and lifesaving equipment on deck and in the accommodation
- During port watches, to ensure at all times that the ship’s gangway/accommodation ladder of the jetty/pier is in a proper position
- To disallow entry/embarkation of any unauthorized persons on board
- Assist with the opening and closing of cargo hatches, rigging of derricks and cranes, lashing of cargo, etc.
- Essential as part of the mooring / unmooring team (if not engaged in steering duties)
- To carry out other duties as directed by the Chief Officer.
- Applicant must have seaman book.
- Applicant must have valid STCW certificates
- Valid Marine Medical, Petronas Medical, BOSIET, and OSP card
Those who meet with the above requirements, please send a CV to us: